Today we’d like to introduce you to Jessica Palmer DeJohn.
Thanks for sharing your story with us Jessica. So, let’s start at the beginning and we can move on from there.
Jessica’s Bake Shop began in the summer of 2015. I had just graduated from Texas State University and moved back home to Dallas when I got my first official cookie order from a friend. I quickly created some homemade business cards, threw together some packaging and prepared the order. After that, word spread that Jessica’s Bake Shop was up and running! I was living with my parents at the time so my mom, Laura, unexpectedly became my employee. Almost four years later and here we are! I worked a full-time job as a Marketing Assistant for an architecture firm for the last three years and was baking every night and every weekend. I am now a part-time employee in the corporate world and get to spend more of my time focused on Jessica’s Bake Shop.
I grew up baking with my mom, so it has always been a hobby and at times, therapeutic. Having a bad day? Go home and bake chocolate chip cookies! – That’s what I’ve always done! I credit my mom, Laura, for teaching me these skills that have turned into a passion and a business. I love saying that I am the boss, but really we are a team. We are constantly learning new things from each other and that is what makes Jessica’s Bake Shop successful.
Our tagline, “Love at First Cookie”, was coined in college, before Jessica’s Bake Shop even began! I was always baking for friends and hoped it wasn’t becoming annoying to my new boyfriend (now husband!!). He told me it was love at first cookie…and then we lived happily ever after!
We’re always bombarded by how great it is to pursue your passion, etc – but we’ve spoken with enough people to know that it’s not always easy. Overall, would you say things have been easy for you?
Starting your own business is definitely not a smooth road but it hasn’t scared me away yet! I try to come out of every struggle with a new lesson learned.
1. The most difficult thing throughout this journey was balancing a full-time job with my side-hustle (and the rest of my life!). Time management and organization have become two of my best skills and I could not run this business (happily) without them!
2. I am mostly a self-taught baker and am usually learning as I go. There have been many sleepless nights in order to learn a new technique or master a skill before an order is due! My husband is my biggest supporter and comforter, especially in these crunch-time moments!
3. Confidence is key! At times, I still struggle with this one. If you look at the first set of cookies, I ever did and look at where I am now…WOW! I’ve come so far but also know that I can still improve. I keep that first set of cookies in mind and am proud of every order I send out the door!
We’d love to hear more about your business.
We started our menu in 2015 with only cookies, rice krispy treats, and chocolate dipped pretzels. Our Cookies & Cream cookie instantly became the most popular and has been our best seller for the last 3.5 years! We test a recipe over and over again before adding it to our menu and even get feedback from friends and family. Our S’more and Salted Chocolate Chip cookies are neck and neck for second favorite this year!
Shortly after that we added cupcakes to our menu and are always working to expand that menu. We offer cupcakes in regular and mini size and also do cupcake towers for weddings. You can find us on The Knot where we won the Best of Weddings award last year! I am most proud of this accomplishment and am waiting on my official plaque to arrive so I can hang it in my cookie room!
In 2017 we added decorated sugar cookies to our menu. I cannot even tell you how popular sugar cookies are! It is crazy! Laura makes, cuts, and bakes all of our sugar cookie dough and I decorate every cookie to match your theme. The flavor of our cookies definitely set us apart. I recently had a customer tell me that a friend at her gender reveal recognized the flavor of our cookie after having one at a princess party months ago! They are SO good. You’ll have to try for yourself!
What were you like growing up?
I’ve always been very creative with an entrepreneurial spirit. I played sports and loved to be outside when I was younger, but when I was inside, I’d be crafting! I could have lived at Hobby Lobby growing up (and maybe still could). I learned to sew handbags and pillow covers in middle school. In high school, I started an Etsy shop of handmade items. In college, I owned a pinback button maker and sold over 100 items on my Etsy shop. I’ve obviously always loved to share my creativity with others.
- Cookies, Krispy Treats, Chocolate Dipped Pretzels: $15-20/dozen
- Cupcakes: $28-35/dozen
- Decorated Sugar Cookies: $42/dozen
- Website: www.jessicasbakeshop.com
- Email: email@example.com
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/loveatfirstcookie
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/loveatfirstcookie
- Other: https://www.theknot.com/marketplace/jessicas-bake-shop-cupcakes-and-cookies-dallas-tx-1045173