Today we’d like to introduce you to Sarah Johnson.
Sarah, can you briefly walk us through your story – how you started and how you got to where you are today.
I grew up in a very creative, faith-centered home. My mom was a successful fashion designer who retired when I was born. After a post-retirement identity crisis, she discovered her identity in Christ as a King’s daughter and used all her creativity to teach this value to me and my sisters. After studying journalism at the University of Texas, I offered to help my mom write a book to impart the King’s Daughters message to a wider audience, and our company was born. Our first book, Trading Up for a King’s Daughter, sparked our entire King’s Daughters lifestyle collection that now includes eight series of Scripture inspired fine art, seven Trading Up books, hundreds of greeting cards, two albums of original music, and more! We have also traveled the world doing speaking engagements and pop up shops. Our heart is that women and girls live with joy, identity, and purpose head-to-toe, inside and out!
Great, so let’s dig a little deeper into the story – has it been an easy path overall and if not, what were the challenges you’ve had to overcome?
Smooth? No. But would I have it any other way? Of course, not! In the last eight years of entrepreneurship, we have experienced successes, failures, miracles, highs, lows, and everything in between––and I am grateful for it all. I have learned perseverance, patience, and gratitude for even the smallest steps. Our biggest struggle was landing on a distribution model. You can create a great product, but what is the best way to get it in people’s hands––and in the right niche’s hands? Last year, we launched a pilot program called “1,000 Regal Celebrators” –a membership of women who receive monthly boxes of our creative, beautiful ministry tools (along with many other perks). Hearing how women are impacting their spheres of influence with our books, art, gifts, cards, etc. is incredible and makes all the work worth it!
Thomas Edison had 10,000 attempts before he invented the lightbulb, but he didn’t see any of them as failures. He simply said, “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” We try to keep his attitude of never looking at a mistake or “failure” as a setback–it is simply a learning curve and a launch pad for success.
Alright – so let’s talk business. Tell us about King’s Daughters – what should we know?
We create and design books, art, music, gifts, and online resources that celebrate women and girls as King’s daughters and equip them to share God’s love with truth and beauty. Everything that we do empowers women to live with joy, identity, and purpose––and helps them empower others to do the same!
I get most excited when I hear stories of women and girls who are encouraged by reading our books, looking at our paintings on their wall, attending one of our events, or listening to one of my songs. I love that we have not only a wide breadth of products, but a powerful depth that is changing lives because everything we do is inspired by God––that is what sets us apart.
Is there a characteristic or quality that you feel is essential to success?
• Perseverance. Never ever ever ever give up. Entrepreneurship is harder than you think and success will take longer than you want––but do not lose heart. Focus on the next step instead of getting overwhelmed by the big picture and keep going!
• Belief. I believe God creates us for specific, world-changing destinies that use our passions and talents to meet people’s needs. Even on the hardest day, I can depend on my belief that God gave me this purpose and He will equip me to do it.
• Purpose. If you have a purpose for your business or job that is higher than yourself, you can make it through any struggle, setback, or doubt. King’s Daughters isn’t about me or my success––it’s about helping women and girls live with greater joy and purpose every day. That’s what keeps me going.
• Giving Back. We give a percentage of our sales to a mentoring program for at-risk teenage girls in Ariel, Israel. We also contribute to a Christian radio station that reaches countries that do not have religious freedom. It is absolutely incredible to see both causes’ grow as we continue to support them.
- We offer everything from free online resources and gifts that start at $14 to high-end fine art and giclees.
- Website: www.kings-daughters.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instagram: @kdcelebrate
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KDCelebrate/
- Other: https://www.youtube.com/user/svj0201