Today we’d like to introduce you to Tamika Johnson.
Thanks for sharing your story with us Tamika. So, let’s start at the beginning and we can move on from there.
One question I’m frequently asked is how did I get into event planning? Easy! I have always had a passion for entertaining…opening my home to family and friends.
When I went to undergraduate school for my Bachelor’s degree in Business, I knew I would open a business but at the time did not know that it would be event planning. After being constantly asked for planning advice and tips by friends and family members, it hit me, planning events was for me! It comes naturally, so why not help others to ensure that their event is perfectly planned and brilliantly executed? Before taking the leap into event planning full time, I held down a corporate job as a Risk Analyst for a Fortune 500 Company.
It has been an amazing journey. I am in awe of how much the firm has grown since its inception in 2005. From planning small social events to now — being able to skillfully manage events of any magnitude is incredible.
I’m so blessed because today, I spend my days immersed in my passion – event planning, fulfilling my dreams and those of others.
Great, so let’s dig a little deeper into the story – has it been an easy path overall and if not, what were the challenges you’ve had to overcome?
Starting and operating my own event planning firm has not always been a smooth journey. When I started this business I was a wife, a mother of three, and had a full-time job. Many times I had to work the business after my 9 to 5 and after I put my children to bed. Many late nights and on hold date nights.
Many times I would under-price my services and overwork myself. Didn’t take much note about the “work smarter, not harder” concept.
Looking back, I found that the most difficult struggles were building my team and finding my niche. Over the years I have had many interns–some very talented individuals too. Turned out they were more excited about the finished product than the journey to get the end result. A lot of trial and error.
Even today, as my business continues to grow, trends change and the changes with the economy, I’m still learning new aspects of the business and finding creative ways to cater to my clients.
I have found the light at the end of the tunnel. Today, I have a solid team. We engage one another with mutual respect and integrity as we commit ourselves to the success of our clients’ events.
My team is proactive, flexible, comprehensive, and quick to respond to challenges and opportunities. Through networking and organizational membership, connecting with others in my industry, I have found a good support system.
Tamika M. Johnson Events and Designs – what should we know? What do you guys do best? What sets you apart from the competition?
Tamika M. Johnson Events and Designs is a boutique wedding and special event service provider in Dallas-Fort Worth.
We try to be a one-stop shop for our clients. That’s why we offer concierge package. Though we don’t do photography or bake cakes, we do have a team of individuals who are very skilled at their craft, at our fingertips. We believe that having the right team working on an event is vital. That’s why we are proud to work alongside the most respected industry experts who share our passion, commitment and high standards of service. Our clients make one call, and that’s to us. We handle the rest of the details for them. Our firm is skilled at design and planning so we are able to assist clients from concept to completion.
Like most event planning firms, the goal is to take the stress of planning an event off of the client. Our firm likes to take it a step further to make the planning process fun and to create some uniqueness to our client’s event. Planning an event can be fun and exciting with the right team.
We help each other succeed. We demonstrate measurable value for our clients by creating value in our delivery, and our quality of services.
What moment in your career do you look back most fondly on?
The proudest moment of my career is winning this year’s WeddingWire’s Couples’ Choice Award and The Best of Decidio Dallas-Fort Worth Wedding Planner Award.
- CONCIERGE SERVICE! Starting at $5,000 This is our most comprehensive package. This package is for the client who wants assistance from concept to the last dance! We are with you every step of the way.
- PLANNING SERVICE! Starting at $2,500 This package is for the client who needs planning assistance and someone to oversee the management of their event day.
- COORDINATION SERVICE! Starting at $1,050 This package is designed for the client who has planned their entire event but would like someone to oversee the management of their event day.
- DIY BRIDE! $425 This package is designed for the crafty/hands-on client who has a vision but needs a little assistance with ideas on how to give their special event a more personal touch.
- STYLING | DESIGN This package is designed for the client who just needs assistance with all the styling aspects of their event e.g. colors and theme.
- A’LA CARTE SERVICE Any service can be requested individually and billed at a rate of $100/hour.
- Address: Post Office Box 540051
Grand Prairie, Texas 75054
- Website: https://www.tamikajohnsonevents.com
- Phone: 469.348.4492
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tmjevents/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TamikaJohnsonEvents
- Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/tmjevents
- Yelp: https://www.yelp.com/biz/tamika-m-johnson-events-and-designs-grand-prairie
- Other: https://www.tmjevents.blogspot.com
4 Walls Wedding Photography
Dare To Imagyn Photography
Mahogany Media Photography
VIP Creation Photography