Today we’d like to introduce you to Jon De León.
So, before we jump into specific questions about the practice, why don’t you give our readers a few quick bullet points about you and your story.
– I’m a first generation U.S. Citizen.
– The first to graduate from High School.
– The first to make six figures.
– The first to join the U.S. Military (I’ve been a medic in the U.S. Air Force for almost five years now. I’m about to become a Sgt in June, I will also be the FIRST De León to accomplish this as well).
– Six year background/experience in Marketing & Sales in Corp America.
– At 24 years old I joined the USAF Reserves (US Air Force) and became a Medic (I actually arrived to basic training literally on my 24th birthday, worst birthday ever to date lol).
– Before getting into the Beauty Industry, I sold exotic cars for a living.
– But working 60+ a week is not conducive for husband and father of two awesome boys (one-year-old & eight-year-old at the time).
– My wife is a self-employed hairdresser so she suggested that I go to hair school to get my Cosmetology License (she had a solid 6 figure business at the time and was only working three days a week. Now she has an even more solid 6 figure income but works five days a week).
– I laughed it off when she mentioned it but then we did our taxes that year and even though we were both making six figures she beat me by a couple of grand AND was only working three days/week while I worked 60+hrs/week.
– Needless to say, I was in Cosmetology school a couple of weeks after that conversation.
– Halfway through hair school my wife (still a self-employed 6 figure income hairdresser) decided to get certified in Microblading.
– On her first day of her training her instructors sent her home with Latex Skins (Latex Skins are the mannequin version of Microblading artists. It’s a sheet of rubber you practice Microblading on) to practice her Microblading strokes.
– I’ve always loved to doodle so I started messing around with brow patters and eyebrow shapes and I was a NATURAL!
– My hair strokes were even better than hers and I had been at hair school all day while she got trained and so my wife said “Holy sh*t! You’re a natural babe! You’re getting certified in Microblading ASAP!”
– So I got certified and became OBSESSED with Microblading.
– I fell in love with the art of Microblading. Working on Latex Skins became therapeutic to me.
– I took on my first paying client in Jan 2017.
– And although I know it was really wrong to do this, I started Microblading clients out of our guest bedroom to earn some extra cash while I was still in Cosmetology school.
– I signed my first suite lease in April of 2017 and never looked back.
– December 2017: I graduated from Hair school and earned my Cosmetology License.
– 2017 – 2018: I just worked, worked and worked on my ass off on mastering my craft. Even offering to do clients for free just to gain experience.
– Fast forward to Feb 22nd, 2019 I became the FIRST Male in the U.S.A to become a certified Bold Brows PhiBrows Artist! 🇺🇸 👨🏽🎨🏆 (PhiBrows Academy is a very prestigious, international, world-renowned Microblading Academy. They’re the HARVARD of Microblading Academies. They produce the BEST Microblading Artists in the world #PhiBrowsAcademy)
Great, so let’s dig a little deeper into the story – has it been an easy path overall and if not, what were the challenges you’ve had to overcome?
– Being broke.
– Always feeling exhausted because I would go to hair school during the day and work as a bartender at night (While in Hair school I got tendinitis on my wrist so I would literally just practice my hair stroke patterns on Latex Skins 8 hrs a day since I couldn’t do hair but I could def practice Microblading).
– Doing free work just to gain experience to build a clientele.
– Making a name for myself especially being a Male Microblading Artist in a Female dominated industry.
– Getting over the fear of performing a Microblading procedure on a live client.
– Being a Male, I had ZERO experience with brows so this created a lot of self-doubts and I had to just keep believing in myself and lee fighting the urge to give up.
Please tell us about Brows by Jon De León.
Jon De León is a licensed Cosmetologists and Double Certified Microblading Artist. He is also the first and only Male PhiBrows Bold Brows Microblading Artist in the whole U.S.A. He specializes in hyperrealistic Microblading.
What do I do: Microblading, also known by a variety of names such as embroidery, microstroking, and feather touch. It is a form of Semi-Permanent Makeup that mimics real brow hair by depositing pigment into the papillary layer of the dermis to make sparse brows look fuller, more structured, and more defined while still achieving a natural appearance. And did I mention that they’re smudge proof, gym proof, AND pool proof?!
This procedure lasts 12-18 months depending on your skin type, sun exposure, and lifestyle (results may vary).
I specialize in hyperrealistic Microblading. I am most known for achieving really soft, NATURAL, detailed, Hyper-Realistic results. And for taking years off my clients faces by giving them natural eye lifts by simply enhancing my client’s brow shape and placement.
I am most proud of how I’ve built my business strictly on referrals only. This tells me that my clients TRUST me enough to recommend me to a close friend or a family member and that means the world to me. I think the single most important thing every business should be striving for is to earn and keep their clients TRUST.
What sets me apart from others is the amount of passion, detail, and love I put into every single set of brows I create. I take what I do very seriously and I think every artist out there should too. When someone trusts you with a semi-permanent procedure on their face, you should take it very seriously and respect the fact that they are putting that much trust in your artistry.
Do you look back particularly fondly on any memories from childhood?
My favorite memory from childhood is not paying bills lol.
- Initial Microblading Procedure: $550
- 6 week touch up: $150
- Yearly Color Boost: $450 (includes touch up and is only honored once a year)
- Address: 2750 E. SOUTHLAKE BLVD
SOUTHLAKE TEXAS 76092
- Phone: 940.442.1318
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instagram: instagram.com/browsbyjondeleon
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/browsbyjondeleon/
Photo Cred: Jon De León